Medical/Compassionate Withdrawal

Our goal is to make the medical/compassionate withdrawal (MCW) process an understandable, manageable experience.  To ensure a timely review, it’s important to review all information provided on this page.

If you experience a serious illness, injury or other significant personal situation that prevents you from continuing your classes, you may request a medical/compassionate withdrawal from the college which houses your major.

Medical/compassionate withdrawals require relevant and detailed supporting documentation for consideration. Approval is at the discretion of the college and there is no guarantee a request will be approved.

View the ASU policy on Medical/Compassionate Withdrawals.

Students considering a medical/compassionate withdrawal should first work with their academic advisor to explore regular withdrawal procedures, and also work with faculty to discuss alternative class arrangements or incomplete grades.

Students receiving financial assistance are strongly encouraged to consult with a Student Financial Assistance counselor to determine your financial obligation if you choose to complete the MCW process. 

Approved medical or compassionate withdrawals are eligible for up to an 80% refund of tuition if approved within two years of the end of the semester. No tuition refund is provided thereafter. Tuition Refund Policy

For specific semester or session deadlines, please refer to Tuition Dates and Deadlines.

Students requesting an MCW for multiple terms will need to submit a separate form  for each term

Required Documentation for a Medical Withdrawal

Required Documentation for a Medical Withdrawal

A request for an MCW must include official documentation in the form of an official letter from a health care provider. The letter must be typed on the health care provider’s letterhead stationery.

The official documentation should include a statement from the student explaining the circumstances or challenges they are facing.   Students making a request for only some courses in a semester and not all courses, should provide a statement as to why they were successful in some courses, but not others.   Documentation from the healthcare provider should include:

  • the date of onset of illness
  • the dates you were under professional care
  • the general nature of your medical condition and why/how it prevented you from completing your course work/attending class
  • the date of your anticipated return to school
  • the last date you were able to attend class

Required Documentation for a Compassionate Withdrawal

Required Documentation for a Compassionate Withdrawal

When requesting a compassionate withdrawal, documentation is required. These are guidelines, as the appropriate documentation will be specific to your situation.  The documentation should corroborate your request by either strengthening the request or providing a timeline for event(s).  For example:

  • If your request involves a death, attach a copy of the death certificate, airline itinerary and receipt, funeral pamphlet, etc. 
  • If your request is a result of a job change, provide documentation highlighting the job change.
  • If your request concerns another’s illness or hospitalization, the supporting documentation must be provided by the medical professional.  
  • If your request concerns legal issues, police reports or other legal documents explaining the circumstances the student is dealing with may be helpful.

Consideration depends on the circumstances and documentation submitted, and approval is at the discretion of the college. All supporting documentation should be detailed and relevant to the situation

To begin the MCW process please click on the following link:

Submit the Request for Documented Medical/Compassionate Withdrawal