Medical and compassionate withdrawal

Our goal is to make the medical/compassionate withdrawal (MCW) process an understandable, manageable experience. To ensure a timely review, it’s important to review all information provided on this page. This page is intended to guide students of The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences through the process of submitting a Medical/Compassionate Withdrawal. Please verify that your major is housed under The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. If your program is under a different college please contact your advisor to follow your college’s specific procedures. 

Link to Medical Designees by College:

If you experience a serious illness, injury or other significant personal situation that prevents you from continuing your classes, you may request a medical/compassionate withdrawal from the college which houses your major.

Medical/compassionate withdrawals require relevant and detailed supporting documentation for consideration. Approval is at the discretion of the college and there is no guarantee a request will be approved.

View the ASU policy on Medical/Compassionate Withdrawals.

Steps for submitting a Medical/Compassionate Withdrawal

  1. Meet with your academic advisor to explore the withdrawal procedures.
  2. Work with faculty for alternative class arrangements or incomplete grades.
  3. Consult with Student Financial Assistance counselor to determine financial obligation.
  4. Review Guidelines of Requirements for Submission section below
  5. Submit an MCW form through the webform located at the bottom of this page

Students considering a medical/compassionate withdrawal should first work with their academic advisor to explore regular withdrawal procedures, and also work with faculty to discuss alternative class arrangements or incomplete grades.

Students receiving financial assistance are strongly encouraged to consult with a Student Financial Assistance counselor to determine your financial obligation if you choose to complete the MCW process. 

Military/Veteran Students

If you are currently serving in the U.S. Military, or are a Veteran, and you are receiving G.I. Bill Funding, please contact the Pat Tillman Veterans Center to discuss the possible financial ramifications of an approved withdrawal, prior to submitting your application.

International Students

If you are an international student with an F1/J1 visa, you must consult with the International Students and Scholars Center to discuss the serious immigration consequences that may result from your withdrawal from ASU. International students seeking to process a medical/compassionate withdrawal in a current term/semester must also complete this Medical Reduced Course Load form and turn it in to the International Students and Scholars Center office.

Two-Year Deadline for Tuition Adjustments

Please review the University’s Medical/Compassionate Withdrawal webpage for the most relevant information regarding partial tuition adjustments or non-refundable credits.

A request for an MCW must include official documentation in the form of an official letter from a health care provider. The letter must be on the health care provider’s letterhead stationery.

The official documentation should include a statement from the student explaining the circumstances or challenges they are facing. Students making a request for only some courses in a semester and not all courses, should provide a statement as to why they were successful in some courses, but not others. Documentation from the healthcare provider should include:

  • the date of onset of illness
  • the dates you were under professional care
  • the general nature of your medical condition and why/how it prevented you from completing your course work/attending class
  • the date of your anticipated return to school
  • the last date you were able to attend class

When requesting a compassionate withdrawal, documentation is required. The official documentation should include a statement from the student explaining the circumstances or challenges they are facing. These are guidelines, as the appropriate documentation will be specific to your situation. The documentation should corroborate your request by either strengthening the request or providing a timeline for event(s). For example:

  • If your request involves a death, attach a copy of the death certificate, airline itinerary and receipt, funeral pamphlet showing dates, etc. 
  • If your request is a result of a job change, provide documentation highlighting the job change.
  • If your request concerns another’s illness or hospitalization, the supporting documentation must be provided by the medical professional.  
  • If your request concerns legal issues, police reports or other legal documents explaining the circumstances the student is dealing with may be helpful.

Consideration depends on the circumstances and documentation submitted, and approval is at the discretion of the college. All supporting documentation should be detailed and relevant to the situation. If you are having any difficulties with the Medical/Compassionate Withdrawal process that is causing you distress, please contact The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences so we can support you during this process.

To begin the MCW process, please click on the following link:

Submit the Request for Documented Medical/Compassionate Withdrawal

Questions? Please call 480-965-6506 or email