Graduate students are central to the mission of Arizona State University as the New American University for research excellence, global outreach and local embeddedness. The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences values excellence in graduate education, and we are pleased to continue the Graduate Excellence Awards program in 2022-23. Awards of $100 are provided to graduate students who have received external monetary awards through research grants, dissertation awards, fellowships and other national or international recognition.
General criteria and eligibility
- Students (PhD or Master's) in graduate programs administered by academic units in The College.
- Students (PhD or Master's) whose committee chair has a primary faculty affiliation in an academic unit in The College.
- In addition to the above requirements, must be enrolled in the spring 2023 semester
Eligible national and international monetary awards
- Fellowships and scholarships awarded directly to the student from national agencies, private foundations or international organizations (e.g., NSF, NIH, NEA, Fulbright, Ford Foundation, United Nations).
- Grants from national agencies or private foundations awarded to a faculty advisor to support a specific graduate student (e.g., NSF Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Grant).
- Travel awards from non-ASU societies or organizations to attend conferences.
- Awards from non-ASU societies and organizations (e.g., best poster award, best oral presentation award).
- Notification or receipt of award between April 1, 2022, and March 20, 2023 (i.e., summer 2022 through spring 2023).
- Start of fellowship or grant between April 1, 2022, and March 20, 2023.
- Continuing receipt of a multi-year fellowship or grant extending into the period of April 1, 2022, and March 20, 2023.
- Grants awarded to faculty members that include general support for graduate students (e.g., NIH R01) but not awarded for a specified graduate student.
- Honors received without a monetary award.
- Monetary awards or grants received from ASU academic units, colleges, through the ASU Foundation or ASU-affiliated organizations.
- Training grants awarded to academic units or graduate programs.
- Monetary awards will be distributed in the amount of $100 until allocated funds are no longer available.
- Eligible students may only receive one award per year from The College regardless of the number of awards submitted for eligibility.
Application and award process
Complete the application form and include in your submission:
- An official email with notification of the award, scholarship or fellowship. - OR -
- A scanned PDF of an award statement letter (if received as a paper copy).
The deadline to apply is Monday, March 20, 2023.
Funds are distributed through ASU student accounts. We anticipate distributing the funds in late April. Students are encouraged to apply early as awards will be distributed until allocated funds are no longer available.
Please be aware that the award may affect your financial aid package; contact Financial Aid and Scholarship Services for information specific to your account. The award will apply to any outstanding balance you may owe to ASU first and any remaining funds will be provided to you via direct deposit or check.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.