General rules for students pursuing concurrent degrees in The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Student must be in good academic standing with an ASU cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher, and completed 30 credit hours of coursework (note: the department of your degree(s) may have additional academic requirements for the addition of a concurrent degree).
- The College requires at least 30 credit hours to be used to fulfill the major requirements of a liberal arts and sciences degree be exclusive to that degree and not used to satisfy major requirements for another degree(s) or minor(s). If you are substituting courses between majors you may need to take additional courses in the liberal arts and sciences major(s) to fulfill the 30 exclusive credit hours.
- If you enroll in a course that is cross-listed between your concurrent major departments, make sure to register for the course under the prefix of the appropriate major department that you are seeking credit.
- If one degree is in another college, you must also follow the rules and procedures of that college.
- Concurrent degrees may not be from the same discipline. Contact your advisor if you have any questions about appropriate combinations.
Your primary degree is the one that shows at the top of your transcripts. Your concurrent degree(s) is the additional degree(s) that you want to pursue.
- Inform your current major advisor that you hope to pursue concurrent degrees.
- Fill out the Concurrent Degree Notification and turn in to your current major advisor in The College. This may be done for degrees from The College at any time after you decide to pursue the concurrent degrees. Your current major advisor in The College can help obtain advisor signatures from other departments in The College and submit your request for processing once approved.
- For students not in The College, please contact the department that houses your desired concurrent degree for advising. A listing of departments and majors from The College may be found here.
- If one of your degrees is in another college, contact that college and complete its required procedures for requesting concurrent degrees.
- If you wish to rescind a concurrent degree, please email your current major advisor with your full name and ASU ID #, stating clearly which degree(s) you wish to remove from your academic record. If you are pursuing any minors, please indicate if you wish to retain the minor(s) so we can ensure it remains on your active degree program.
For general questions, please call The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Office of Student and Academic Programs at 480-965-6506.