Scientific Teaching in Higher Education Certificate

Do you want to become a better science teacher? You can gain a sophisticated understanding of teaching and education research that will help you build your career teaching science. Learn how to become a change agent who can contribute to positive reform in science education.

Program Description

Certificate Awarded: Scientific Teaching in Higher Education Certificate

The graduate certificate program in scientific teaching in higher education provides graduate students with the skills and knowledge needed to implement and evaluate evidence-based teaching at the college level.

As part of the program, students gain experience teaching science in a higher education setting, take teaching-related coursework, and complete a culminating experience under the guidance of a scientific teaching faculty mentor. This culminating experience can be either a significant teaching experience, including the use of evidence-based teaching, or discipline-based education research focused on undergraduate science education.

At a Glance: program details

Degree Requirements

Required Core (2 credit hours)
BIO 530 Scientific Teaching (2)

Electives (10 credit hours)

Culminating Experience (3 credit hours)
BIO 593 Applied Project (3)

Admission Requirements

Applicants must fulfill the requirements of both the Graduate College and The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

Applicants are eligible to apply to the program if they have earned a bachelor's or master's degree from a regionally accredited institution.

Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A") in the last 60 hours of their first bachelor's degree program, or applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A") in an applicable master's degree program.

Applicants must submit the following:

  1. graduate admissions application and application fee
  2. official transcripts
  3. proof of English proficiency

Additional Application Information
An applicant whose native language is not English must provide proof of English proficiency regardless of current residency.

International students who need an F1 or J1 visa first need to apply to and be accepted into a graduate degree program prior to being considered for the certificate program. International students residing in the USA on other types of visas must adhere to all Graduate College policies and procedures regarding admission to be considered for admission to this certificate program.

Next Steps to attend ASU

Learn about our programs

Apply to a program

Visit our campus

Global Opportunities

Global Experience

With over 250 programs in more than 65 countries (ranging from one week to one year), study abroad is possible for all ASU students wishing to gain global skills and knowledge in preparation for a 21st-century career. Students earn ASU credit for completed courses, while staying on track for graduation, and may apply financial aid and scholarships toward program costs.

Program Contact Information

If you have questions related to admission, please click here to request information and an admission specialist will reach out to you directly. For questions regarding faculty or courses, please use the contact information below.